In September, BAFE registered company Fire Crest (extinguisher.com) was called into a local Care Home after a pump had caught fire in their loft the previous evening. Earlier in the year, Fire Crest inspected their system and installed a detector in this area to alert staff and their elderly residents as early as possible. This early warning enabled everybody to evacuate carefully and for the Fire and Rescue service to extinguish the blaze quickly. Minimal damage was caused and more importantly nobody was harmed by the fire.
Fire Crest are one of BAFE’s many companies registered to both the BAFE SP101/ST104 (Maintenance of Fire Extinguishers) scheme and BAFE SP203-1 (Fire Detection and Alarm Systems) scheme. They recognise that competence is of vital importance for the fire protection industry. Third party certification validates this competency for many fire protection companies all over the UK, providing a clear indicator of who is able to perform important specific tasks required to keep your building safe from fire.
Vince Allison from Fire Crest stated “after the fire the CQC (Care Quality Commission) and fire brigade needed assurance that the system was working fine before residents could return to their bedrooms. We tested the area, repaired melted cables to door magnets and the home was ready to be used fully the next day”.
Robert Catanzaro, founder of Fire Crest, added “being BAFE registered authenticates our ongoing commitment to provide the best quality service to provide the greatest fire safety solutions for our customers. I am extremely proud of our team here at Fire Crest and cannot commend them enough for their diligent work to help keep our customers safe”.
- The small fire was detected early and extinguished quickly.
Without the detector in this void the care home could have gone up in flames. This early detection is a reminder to care homes and all businesses to ensure that your fire safety systems are provided and regularly maintained by a third party certified company. This has the potential to save lives and also your livelihood. The responsible actions taken by this care home in using a third party certified provider has created a safe environment to be in from fire. Even if fires do occur, the earliest possible detection is in place with a well maintained system. Unfortunately there are far too many false alarms which have led to Fire and Rescue Services having to modify their responses. The assurances given by using third party certificated providers will demonstrate that a genuine activation has occurred.
Unlike security systems which are regularly switched off when opening the premises and switched on again upon leaving, fire systems are on all the time – and sometimes overlooked. By making sure that everything is in order and maintained regularly by a third party certified provider, there will be a much-reduced risk of false activations. These systems will work at the most critical times to protect life and property.
You wouldn’t use an unregistered gas engineer, so why would you run the risk with your fire safety provider? Use BAFE registered companies to ensure you are using certified competent people for the works you require.
Are you a BAFE registered company with a success story to share? We would like to hear from you!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with information of your fire protection story and we can continue to promote the value of using quality third party certified fire protection companies.